Members gave their consideration to a report which provided a summary of the work undertaken by the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Panels during 2019 – 2020.
During 2019/20, the Council’s Overview and Scrutiny Panels continued to scrutinise performance internally/externally, held the Cabinet to account and contributed to policy development. The range of work and issues considered by each Panel during 2019/20 was summarised in sections 6 - 9 of the report. Appendix A of the report contained the terms of reference of each Panel and its membership.
The following comments were made and noted:-
· Concern in relation to the duration of the last meeting of the Health Overview and Scrutiny Panel and that it had not met since the start of the pandemic;
· The special meeting of the Panel held on 22nd July 2020 at which members received details on the Covid-19 Local Outbreak Control Plan was beneficial;
· An improvement in the level of scrutiny had been seen and the number of questions to Portfolio Holders had increased;
· Cabinet members should be present at meetings;
· That Information Digests should be included on the agenda for the relevant scrutiny panel;
· It was difficult to manage external partners
1) That the report be NOTED;
2) For a summary of the questions to Portfolio Holders be included in the next annual report.