Venue: The Cafe, Pavilion Gardens, Buxton. View directions
RESOLVED: That Councillor A McKeown be appointed Chair and Councillor Grooby be appointed Vice-Chair for the 2018/19 municipal year.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 19 April 2018 be approved as a correct record.
South East Manchester Multi-Modal Study Refresh - Presentation
There was a presentation on South East Manchester Modal Strategy (SEMMMS) refresh. Background, stakeholder input, vision, objectives, proposals, implementation, implications, consultation and next steps were outlined.
Issues discussed included:
· Effect of A6 works on 3 areas of High Peak – Chapel-en-le-Frith, Whaley Bridge and Buxton
· Possible review of where people are travelling to
· Scheme slippage
· LEP discussions and, need for High Peak to be represented
· Car drivers using the old road between Disley and Whaley Bridge to avoid traffic calming measures
· Congestion resulting from the new road in High Lane
· Potential for High Peak to be seen as an easy route to the east midlands
· Longer rush hours
· Consultation event
It was agreed that the consultation response would include the following:
· Requesting extension of A6 works to include Bridgemont to New Town
· Need for more trains and carriages between Manchester and Buxton
· Need for incentives to reduce the number of cars and single occupancy
· Request for Greater Manchester Train Zone to be extended to include High Peak
· Need for a joint strategy to access funding
· Improving parking at railway stations including at Chinley and if possible in short term at New Town and extending park and ride provision
· Need for Bredbury Valley link to Denton
· Need for safety issues to be considered as road traffic uses alternative routes to avoid congestion and traffic calming
That the Council’s consultation response include the issues detailed and the update received with thanks.
RESOLVED: That the Select Committee Work programme be noted and suggestions welcomed.