Venue: The Octagon Lounge, Pavilion Gardens, Buxton. View directions
RESOLVED: That, subject to the addition of Councillor Todd to the list of those in attendance, the minutes of the meeting held on 27 September 2018 be approved as a correct record.
A report informed and updated Councillors on the findings of the Derbyshire Local Economic Assessment 2018. Discussion took place on manufacturing as a key sector and the planned opening of the High Peak Business Park at Chapel-en-le-Frith.
RESOLVED: That the report be noted.
As this was his last meeting Richard Tuffrey was thanked for all his hard work over many years with the Council.
Consideration was given to the Future High Street policy paper published by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government. The draft report of the Buxton Visitor Economy Strategy , commissioned by a Steering Group of key stakeholders in Buxton including the Borough Council was also considered. Discussion took place on the Buxton Visitor Economy Strategy and the Glossop Creative Industries assessment (previously discussed and approved) forming the basis of an Expression of Interest in the Future High Street Fund when launched in 2019.
Issues raised included:
· The Heritage Lottery Fund request for a report covering Buxton.
· Supporting and passing views on to the Stakeholder Group.
· Wider impact of proposals, including tourism and major visitor attractions.
· Working on an expression of interest for Buxton, Glossop and other areas in High Peak, including the Central area.
· Lack of tourist accommodation available in Chapel-en-le-Frith.
· Lack of investment in Victoria and Market Hall in Glossop and the public realm in Buxton.
· Accessing other funding streams, including the Gateway Improvement Programme and other initiatives.
· Themes and transformative ideas included in the partnership Strategy and using it as a supporting document to bid for High Street funding.
· Consultation exercise with stakeholders, forums and those not included.
· Improving branding and signage in Buxton, the Chapel-en-le-Frith Neighbourhood Plan and buildings of significance.
· Linking rural areas and the Hope Valley to other areas, infrastructure and history.
· Consultants needing to produce practical, imaginative and realistic suggestions using resources available.
· Businesses identifying cultures and sub-cultures.
· Connecting analysis to the strategy.
Members were welcomed to subject any further additional comments after the meeting.
1. That the contents of the report including the attached draft Buxton Visitor Economy Strategy be noted and further comments invited.
2. That it be requested that the scope of the Buxton Visitor Economy Strategy be extended to include an assessment of the potential impact on, and opportunities for the wider High Peak and Derbyshire economies.
3. That the Executive instruct officers to submit an Expression of Interest to submit a High Peak wide bid to the Future High Streets Fund which is expected to be announced early next year.
RESOLVED: That the Select Committee Work programme be noted and suggestions welcomed.