Venue: The Dove Room, Moorlands House, Stockwell Street, Leek. View directions
Notification of Substitute Members, if any.
Councillor Barks was substitute member for Councillor Brady and Councillor Hoptroff substituted for Councillor Spooner.
Declarations of Interest:
· Disclosable Pecuniary Interests
· Other Interests
No interests were declared.
1. That the minutes of the previous meeting held on 30th October 2023 be approved.
2. That an action log be created and maintained.
Private Rental Properties & Disabled Facilities Grants - Verbal Update from Mike Towers, Principal Environmental Officer
The group received detailed information on the following topics:
· Private Sector Housing enforcement
· Housing Standards
· Minimum Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
· Empty properties
· Grant system
· Houses of Multiple Occupancy (HMO’s)
· Damp and mould
Members debated the low uptake of grants and available funding, Warmer Spaces, Community Adaptation Grants, Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG’s) and an holistic approach to EPC inspections.
The Officer advised that grant funding could only be used for capital spend, for example, a new boiler, and not towards utility bills.
In response to a question around complaints regarding damp and mould, it was confirmed that the Council had not received an increased number of complaints within the last 12 months. Members were assured that measures are in place to protect tenants should they be fearful of making a complaint against their landlord. It was clarified that should anyone wish to report damp and mould issues, that they should contact Customer Services or Environmental Health.
Members were asked to consider what level of priority should be given to empty properties, energy efficiency and the climate emergency by the Environmental Health Team.
1. The Working Group noted the update;
2. For Councillors to notify the Communities Team of any Warmer Spaces for inclusion on the Council’s website;
3. For Councillors to contact Mike Towers directly should they be aware of any premises that may benefit from the Community Adaptation Grant;
4. For a table detailing all of the currently available grants to be circulated to members;
5. Details of the Home Repairs Assistance Grant to be circulated to Members to assist with wider promotion of the scheme.
Update on Energy Schemes - Gillian Wright, Climate Change Officer
The Group reviewed the table containing various grants and schemes relating to energy efficiency and the Corporate Priorities relating to climate change.
1. For the Grants table to be reviewed and updated.
2. Create an Action Plan.