Contact: Sally Hampton - Democratic Services Officer
STATEMENT OF THE REASONS FOR THE DECISION:
The report sought agreement to introduce an on-line Community Lottery (“the Lottery”) to help raise funds for the local voluntary and community sector, and support good causes within the district.
The External Lottery Manager would be invited to attend the next meeting of the Community Overview and Scrutiny Panel.
ANY ALTERNATIVES CONSIDERED:
Three alternative options had been identified:
· Do not introduce a lottery.
· Deliver the lottery in-house This is not considered to be a viable option given estimated set up costs of £80k-£100k, and the Council did not have the necessary skill or resource to establish a lottery.
· Use an alternative ELM. Other ELMs exist but do not specialise in delivering Community lotteries on behalf of local authorities and as such, do not have the same level of understanding of local authorities’ needs and requirements as offered by Gatherwell.
1. That the establishment of a Community Lottery for the purpose of raising funds to support good causes that benefit residents of the district be agreed.
2. That the procurement of Gatherwell as an External Lottery Manager to run the operational side of the lottery be approved.
3. That the Executive Director (Governance and Commissioning) be authorised, in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Communities, to establish criteria for determining which good causes can participate in the Lottery, and apply those criteria.
4. That the Executive Director (Governance and Commissioning) be authorised to apply for any necessary licences from the Gambling Commission to enable the Lottery to operate.
5. That the Head of Communities and Climate Change be nominated as the personal licence holder for the Lottery and be authorised to apply for the personal licence.
6. That the management and oversight of the Lottery and the authority to approve appropriate policies and procedures associated with the Lottery be delegated to the Executive Director (Governance and Commissioning).
A RECORD OF ANY CONFLICT OF INTEREST DECLARED:
A NOTE OF ANY DISPENSATION, IF GRANTED: